Thursday, November 1, 2007

IntenseNot

Not - Not - Not
What is this fascination with the negative?

[After reading my blog yesterday, OAO Daughter laughed and said, "That was intense." Okay, my abhorrence for the season was tweaked the day before by that little 4-year-old sitting in the shopping cart with a macabre skeleton mask on his face. His mama likes seeing him like that? *shudder* Faux death -- I just can't grasp or share the attraction.]

So we'll try to lighten things up again. And this morning it's not about whether the glass is half full or half empty:

It's not a glass; it's a mug. It was full of a fresh, homemade cappuccino. As is my practice, when I'd drunk to the halfway (full/empty) point, I strolled to the kitchen to refill with fresh coffee. Just as I began pouring -- in other words, when it was too late -- I noticed that black speck in the spout. Rats! Or Gnats! Aughhh, was that a gnat?! Whatever it was, it was in my mug. And I find wasting more distasteful than consuming insects.

So I went fishing with a spoon, and even now, I don't know if that was a gnat or a coffee ground. Neither do I know if any of the floaties I fished out was the suspicious, offending addition to my mug. I reckon a little protein to grab those mega-carbs I'd sugared into that cappuccino isn't all bad. IntenseNot.

There's skunkage atop my head. Expecting guests this month, a few weeks ago I began carefully plotting the best time to color my hair, so it would be lookin' good when company arrived. Numerous date changes and cancellations have produced a large, sparkly stripe about which I know not now what to do. Rats! Or Skunks! I'll figure out something, and it may be about hiding in the house for a couple of weeks. IntenseNot.

We'd no sooner cleaned up the destroy-the-den mess, when we decided to destroy the pantry. Applying trim to the newly paneled, pantry walls (sounds easy enough) has slowed us down. "Would you go to the living room and get me some crackers?" Rats! Or Man, Is This Place Ever a Mess! IntenseNot. (<---lying / confession is good for the soul)

Glass or mug
Coffee ground or bug
Rats, Skunks,
Or graying chunks
An empty pantry
I'm no Elmer Gantry (oh hush -- it rhymes!)

It's an IntenseNot day on the farm.

[Postscript: Uncultured swine that I am, I decided these hours later to find out who Elmer Gantry is/was and availed myself of the services of Wikipedia, where I learned he is a fictional character from the mind of Sinclair Lewis. Who knew? Moreover, said character is a quite unsavory fellow, the creation of which found Lewis' work banned in Boston. You don't say. My poetic (*cough*) closing stands.]

For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised: he also is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the people are idols: but the Lord made the heavens. Glory and honour are in his presence; strength and gladness are in his place. ~ 1 Chronicles 16:25-27

No comments: