Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Another Knucklehead Moment in the Kitchen

I was in a hurry.  We'd be eating in about 10 minutes, and I wanted to hot-bathe the tomatoes before dinner, so I could peel and process them after the meal.  Forget the recommendation to do "a few at a time."  I'd load that pot to the hilt and just dance the tomatoes with some shakes of the pan insert, so they'd each get a good all-around of the boiling water.

So I lowered the tomato-filled, perforated insert into the pot of boiling water, then turned my attention momentarily to setting tea to steep.  Executing my plan to cut time corners, I then lifted the tomato filled insert several inches from the pan and plunged it back into the boiling water; had to be sure those tomatoes moved around, don't ya know.

Well, I don't know how the tomatoes took to this, as my attention was immediately diverted from their well being, because quickly ramming a full, weighty pot into another potful of boiling water (*smacking forehead*) causes a kitchen volcano.  It's science.  Don't do it!

Boiling water everywhere, including the faces of those freshly painted cabinets (how long can I say fresh when I keep abusing them) and the floor, and although I'd leapt out of the way and saved my sandal clad feet, the eruption doused the length of my dress.  Not for a single moment have I ever regretted my decision a dozen years ago to wear only dresses, and at this moment in time, I was probably the gladdest ever for a garment flowing away from my body, saving myself from parboiled legs.  Whew-wee.

Harvey helped clean up the mess, everything cooled down, and five quarts of tomatoes are ready this morning to magically become tomato butter.

Words to the wise: Don't dance your tomatoes in a pot of boiling water.  Oh, you already knew that? ºÜº

Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations.  Deuteronomy 7:9

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have gained so many life lessons from reading about your kitchen escapades! Thank you for that! ;)

CarolineNot said...

I aim to please.
*phflubbb*
ºÜº