Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Baby Bagged a Buck

Only 14 years old, Son4 didn't have a photo ID, and there had been some confusion in the house over whether or not he'd need one in order to acquire a hunting license.  The evening before gun season opened, he studied online, and it was determined this feat could be accomplished, so he and Charles jumped in the truck and made a trip to town.  I pondered at the time this man-thing which could prompt a couple of fellows to trek into town in the cold dark of the night.

Son4 was up in the darkness of morning, applying his man make-up, and told Mom he was going to "hunt" from the pool deck.  Gentle prompting to choose a more reasonable spot to plant himself was met with an explanation that the deck would be grand.  When Charles arose shortly thereafter, he slipped into the living room and apprised me in a low tone that Son4 was planning to hunt from the pool deck, despite Dad's urgings to choose a better spot.  I told him I'd already unsuccessfully been to that well, and we shared a parental Isn't that cute smile.

All suited up in camo — when draping themselves in lumber and spindles would have made more sense to me — Dad and son exited through the front door, while I sat knitting in the living room.  Imagine my surprise when 20 minutes later I heard a distinctive *x!CRACK!x*

I tossed my knitting aside, rushed to the windows, and looked intently at what was occurring on the deck.  Both men were standing.  They were facing one-another and talking.  Then I saw Son4 point toward the cornfield across the road.  More talking between the two.  Then I saw Dad give Son a high-five.  WHAT!?  I rushed to the door, threw myself onto the porch and hollered, "Did you get one!?"  Indeed.  Okay, I teared-up.

An exciting day it was on the prairie.  And a few days later, the bounty was hauled back from the meat locker and appreciatively and admiringly packed into the freezer.  Lovely venison steaks were on the table for dinner that night.

Don't mess with a man with a painted face.  He just may know what he's doing.

O Lord, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.  So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts.  There go the ships: there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein.  These wait all upon thee; that thou mayest give them their meat in due season.  That thou givest them they gather: thou openest thine hand, they are filled with good.  Psalms 104:24-28

No comments: