Sunday, August 24, 2008

GreatNot ProudNot

Last Trumpet Newsletter - August

I always try to remember to catch this monthly newsletter** and have just now read the August issue. The topics therein aligned with my recent thoughts, prompted by the phrases greatest nation on earth and proud to be an American. I realize that people who use these phrases in reference to the United States of America probably aren't thinking about the words, and they mean well. People of my generation were taught to accept and utter the phrases as unshakeable truths. The words and the concepts are such a terribly ill fit to reality -- at least for Christians.

I sorrowfully shudder over the concept of calling the USA the greatest nation on earth when she is filled with, enjoying, and promoting every evil under the sun -- a list so long and pervasive that I dare not tackle the task of enumerating, for it would be exhausting and likely depressing. The newsletter mentions a few of the evils this nation now embraces. The author is very near my own age, so he also lived in the nation this once was and mentions having watched it decay and become nearly unrecognizable. Personally, it would scare the daylights out of me, if I was of a mind or heart to call the present USA the greatest nation on earth, given her swarthy departure from both God and good and her ever-deepening plunge into evil deeds and darkness.

I'd be even less inclined to entertain pride in being an American, as if I could claim having had a hand in being born into this nation or that she's doing something today of which I could be proud...if I was of a heart to nurture pride. God clearly hates pride; oh, that He might have mercy on me and always help me to shun pride. May the Holy Spirit always remind me that all of my blessings come from the Lord and are none of my own doing or merit. I am very thankful that I was born into the USA and have enjoyed the rich, unmerited blessings which were mine in a nation that once honored and respected the One True God, even endeavoring to be ruled in accordance with His precepts.

"My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together." (Psalm 34:2, 3)



** In the weeks since I published this blogpost, it has come to my attention that the author of the newsletter departs from sound doctrine on some critical issues. I do not endorse all of the author's doctrinal perspectives.

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! ~Isaiah 5:20

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
~II Timothy 3:1-5

No comments: