Monday, July 23, 2007

Drive-Thru Perils

Since the family-favored fast food restaurants are a block apart, I stopped first to get spicy chicken, onion rings, and red beans and rice to deliver to Charles at work as a surprise. Son3 suggested I do the drive-thru, but I abhor those machines that speak gobbledygook, so I parked and placed the order indoors without much ado.

Not wanting Charles' food to cool, I next braved the talking box at the fish joint, and boy-howdy did I regret that:

I'll have 4 fries, 4 chickens, and 5 fish.

Okay, that'll be 4 fries, 5 chickens, and 4 fish.

No, 4 chickens and 5 fish.

Oh, okay -- 4 fish and 5 chickens. [Was this groundhog hour, a dyslexic talking box, or WHAT?]

No, 4 chickens - 5 fish.

Okay, lkeoidvm ckadie pkdfmkd (tractor-trailer rig drove by, drowning and halting the insanity) and pull up to the window.

There was a long, stagnant line at the window, and the Sugar Plum had pulled the rubber band out of her ponytail again, so I leapt from the van, hairbrush in hand, and raced around to the other side, so I could re-tail her wispy 'do before she visited Poppie in the workplace. Wouldn't you know it, the line decided to move just then, so I treated everyone to what must have been perceived as a one-(idiot)woman Chinese fire drill, jogging all the way around the van, and back into the driver's seat without skipping a beat. Ew boy.

So we delivered Charles' tasty meal, and I consigned myself to the rest of us having guess-whats for lunch. Guess what. We actually and thankfully had 4 chickens and 5 fish. I kinda think, though, it would have been easier and less stressful to just go home and cook lunch.



When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all [things] under his feet: All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, [and whatsoever] passeth through the paths of the seas. O LORD our Lord, how excellent [is] thy name in all the earth! ~Psalm 8:3-9

No comments: