Friday, July 27, 2007

~*~Peeps~*~

At 6:51 a.m., I got that much-anticipated phone call from the postmistress: "You have a box of chicks here." Since I'd dragged my sorry self out of bed to answer the phone, I told her I'd be there in about 45 minutes, knowing it would take me that long to accomplish the rigors required, so I wouldn't look so very scary when I arrived at the post office. Niece Kate would say I used the time betwixt phone call and departure to work my Oprah-magic, but she'd say it just to watch me squirm and hear me moan. [<--- a little UNFUNNY inside joke there for dear Katie's benefit)

It was already 74º when I loaded the box into the van, but that's fully 20º lower than the recommended temp for chicks, so I cranked up the heater in the van. The chicks were happy; I glistened all the way home.


The little peepers are nestled into the newly created brooder section of the chicken coop and are seeming peepily happy, which is a more positive report than I can give today regarding the hens' and rooster's reaction to this noisy invasion of their space. They were curiously interested at best and ticked off at worst, as they took turns perching above and peering down into the chick space. I couldn't discern whether they were plotting a bloody rebellion or performing the tasks of a welcoming committee, so Son3 got a broom and whisked them all outdoors. We netted the ceiling of the brooder just in case.


It's a happy day on the higgledy-piggledy farm.

This [is] the day [which] the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

1 comment:

kandi said...

New chicks cool.. might have to swing over and check them out.