Monday, March 15, 2010

Poncho Milla

In other words, I'm the villain.  Thinkin' I was all Queen-Knitter and such, I finally knitted SugarPlum a poncho out of the eyelash yarn mentioned many moons ago.  Now, if you decide to visit ← that link, forget about what you see, because it ain't what we got.  That triangle sat on the needles for more than a year, before I pulled it off and went another direction.

The past week I've been knitting and flitting between the poncho and a purse: mostly poncho during the day and purse in the night, since seeing on the needle the bitsy threads beneath the fur was easier in daylight hours.  I finished the second 29"-long rectangle today and forced myself to immediately tackle the awkward piecing (shown here), which was supposed to produce a poncho.

Seam 1 was a breeze, and I was feeling much too confident after noticing the seam simply disappeared in the fur.  Oh, I'm good.  I'm sooo good.NOT!  Equally deftly, I sewed seam 2, wove-in the yarn tail, then held up my prize to receive my personal admiration — so richly deserved — only to discover I'd twisted (or not twisted) edge 2, so that I held before me a furry, twisty, ridiculous mass of what's-this that looked more like a bizarre sling than outerwear.

This might not have been SO very horrible, were it not for how marvelously the seams were hidden in the fur.  Where's the seam?  Where's the seam?  WHERE'S THE SEAM?!

Thought I found it.  Snip-snip.  Pull.  Pull some more.  Oopsie.  That wasn't the seam.  You read it right.  I cut a stinkin' hole in oh...35 or 40 hours of knitting.  Big hole.  So I grabbed the skein, threaded a needle, and started sewing like nobody's business.  Or like my business: monkey business.  Who knows if it'll hold up to plum pranks, but all I have to do is get that poncho out of this house.  Maybe after a wearing or two, the kid will have a vent and a tail or leash or something, but what I don't know won't hurt me.

I finally found the seam, snipped (with great fear and trepidation), rearranged, and sewed. 

It's not twisty now.  It's not crookedy or misshapen either; it just looks that way in the photo.  It's a poncho.

I have a headache.





Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.  Titus 2:13, 14

No comments: