Sunday, March 7, 2010

SpectacularNot Spring Chickens

This is a nice little red star hen.
She's not spectacular, but you may be thinkin' so by the time you see the young ones.
I was.
She's cross-eyed.
Oh well.


The young hens are blurry when they run.


This one runs really fast.


What was I thinking, when I ordered such nondescript chicken breeds?
Practical.
I was thinking practical.
I'll never make that mistake again.
Maybe one day they'll no longer be scrawny and ugly.
Well, ...at least not that scrawny part.
Here they are standing still.


Waxing cliche, this one is dry as a bone but looks mad as a wet hen.


Just look at 'em, bein' all white and skinny.
Maybe I'm mad as a wet hen.



Got some freckles.


A little bit of hope for her tail.


And finally, THE DEFECTIVE CHICKEN.
This one has its head screwed on backwards...


...like mine was when I ordered practical chickens.


Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his.  And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.  II Timothy 2:19

2 comments:

willow said...

well.... admittedly your practical chickens are less
festive then you lovely puzzle chickens -
but the puzzle ones won't be laying any eggs....

My dad had two dreams in his life - he wanted to own chickens - and he wanted to visit canada.

He never got his chickens - and he never got to the Canadian border - even though he
lived in NY for his entire life.

I always think how sad that such humble dreams
never became reality before his death.

CarolineNot said...

Having seen a photo of your beautiful, Long Island, childhood home, I do think chickens dotting the yard would have caused a neighborhood stir (read: revolt), but it was a sweet dream.