Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm Plum Thankful, Jeannie

She had me with, "...never...fuss with them at all other than to wash them."

A couple of posts ago, in the comments section, Jeannie talked about making plum jelly.  Now you're going to think it was all about her causing turning plums into jelly to sound like a simple feat, and I'll grant that part was huge.  But Jeannie said fuss.  She doesn't fuss with them.  Gotta love the phrase.

So I wanted to not fuss much with plums.  With Jeannie's encouragement, I did.

[Confession:  I fussed at my plums, when I was glistening and dripping over a hot stove.  And I fussed at them when they boiled over and warped my new cabinet paint job (in an inconspicuous place \o/).  I fussed when the juice climbing the neck of my homemade jelly bag was scalding my fingers...since I was too impatient to wait for the pulp to cool.  But I didn't fuss much with the plums.  Jeannie was right.]


Thanks for the plum jelly, Jeannie.  ºÜº



Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.  Proverbs 30:8, 9

3 comments:

Marie Anne said...

Sounds wonderful!

I've got an apple tree out back that I need to do something with. I have canning jars but no pot large enough to cover them.

I do have a dehydrator here somewhere, or maybe I could freeze them somehow.

CarolineNot said...

Marie Anne, you can, indeed, freeze your apples. One year I diced and froze for the intended use in my rendition of apples dumplings. Our apples are small enough for the traditional recipe and method, but many years ago, I switched to rolling the dough and spreading with butter, followed by diced apples, sugar, and spices, then rolling and cutting as one would cinnamon rolls. Makes for a perfect-always blend of apples and dough on the fork or spoon.

If my memory serves me, I've also married ingredients for apple pie filling and frozen that in Ziplocs for future pies.

If you've any concerns about the stability of the grid, you might hunt-down that dehydrator. ;o)

Zoomer, if you're around, I know you've done a lot of dehydrating. Want to weigh-in on dried apples? I should consider that this year, myself.

Annie T. said...

I don't know about dried apples, but what CN said about freezing apples with pie filling ingredients works wonderfully!

And CN, that plum jelly looks plum beautiful!! Hope it tastes as good!!