Thursday, March 13, 2008

Goat Milk

[or Watermelon Jello: I was 8 or 9 years old when I begged and begged for watermelon flavored Jello, new to the shelves around that time. How could I know watermelon Jello wouldn't taste like watermelons? I could know by pestering long enough to receive some. I tasted it, said I didn't like it, then threw up in my bowl when I was told I had to eat it. Any sort of pineapple had the same effect on me.]

All the bulging CowNot udders around here brought me to the realization that my dream of fresh, free milk was at the door. Well, not exactly at the door, but in the pasture and available for me to coax into the refrigerator...if I had a mind and body and spirit and zeal and insanity to do so. Would it be worth it?

Would it be worth it? Hey, or hay, I wasn't born yesterday. I could pop the nearly $4 for a quart of goat milk from the store and at least be certain the stuff is palatable, before building a milking station, hauling warm water to the barn, squeezing flippy little pygmy CowNot parts an hour each day, sterilizing buckets and bottles, and so on and so on. Four dollars well spent, because...

That evening, I poured a glass of the liquid gold, and I told myself I was going to like it: I'm going to like this. I'm going to like this. I didn't want it to follow the full route of watermelon Jello.

My, oh my, oh my. That stuff tastes just like Willie smells. I'm one of those people who have a greater than average number of tastebuds and can detect flavor nuances in foods. Listen, I wasn't ruminating with the slightest, expectant thoughts of Willie, but he was in that milk, and it warn't no nuance!

Willie! Ewwwww! (I did swallow, and it didn't come back up. I've matured over the past 40+ years.)

Goat milk is good for a body. It's the best. If you can drink it and enjoy it (i.e. you've never smelled Willie), do so in great health. My hands and mouth, however, will be busied in pursuits other than wresting and drinking baa-juice from flippy little pygmy CowNot parts.

We used that weensy egg yesterday in a pre-flouring wash for fried chicken livers.


Mrs. Piecrust, fret not. I bought the livers at the store. All hens and hennots present and just being chickens.

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: if so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. ~ I Peter 2:2, 3

3 comments:

Lacey said...

You're s'posedtah drink it hot with sugar.

~CarolineNot said...

In that case, it still seems less labor-intensive to just set Willie in the sun, sprinkle him with C & H, and lick him a few times.

Perish the thought.

zoomer1 said...

Speed Racer loves it, and I'm glad since it's so good for a body, but this body isn't going anywhere near the stuff, even WITH sugar.