Monday, June 14, 2010

Favorite Thing - Net Scrubby

Realizing the image is a bit scroungy looking (and there's no sense in trying to dress it up), I nonetheless deem my net dish scrubby one of my favorite things.

I first learned of washing dishes with a net scrubby a couple of decades ago, when we lived in Illinois, and a friend who was also a transplant to that state received a fresh scrubby from her mama back home in Georgia.  Now hers was significantly more elaborate than what you see here, and I studied and mimicked hers at the time and for a time.  But over the years I've discovered my personal preference is to just cut a hank of net and put it to work as-is.  You can see it doesn't appear very deliberate in this form, and you wouldn't want to wrap it up and give it as a gift.  Yet, I like the free-form feel in my hand and the ability to truly stretch that thing out for rinsing, so no food particles are left in it as an unsavory presence, or worse, a contamination threat.  (← I added that contamination part for Little Loo, who curls her lip every time I offer her a scrubby: "NO!")

My dish scrubby makes me so happy, and at something around 75¢/yard, when it eventually seems a bit on the limpish side, I can fairly economically toss it away and cut another hank.  Last summer, I bought quite a stretch of net to shield my strawberry plants from the birds, but my strawberries croaked...as naturally they would in my care.  See how thoughtful I was, buying green, so it wouldn't be an outdoor eyesore?  Who knew that net would become grass green scrubbies in a non-grass-green kitchen?  For five or six years.

Favorite thing (despite being grass green) — Net Scrubby



Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.  II Corinthians 7:1

No comments: