Friday, December 21, 2007

WhiteNot

This isn't my fault. I didn't think it up all by myself out of nowhere. I read on a blog this morning the term white men, then I went to take a shower. Since I don't sing in the shower, I think in the shower. I'm not the one who put white men in my head; it got stuck there(, just like "Let It Snow" got stuck in my head for a couple of hours last night, and that wasn't my fault either.) Actually, I read angry white men, and it was a woman who used the term, but let's not go there. I was thinking about white in the shower.

Who is white?



As much as I'd love to take credit for that illustration, I stole it in part from Ken Ham, who delightfully used the contrast in a seminar. I'm not white. (I'm not angry either, but this isn't about that.) In fact, I'm light and dark shades of brown. Everyone is some shade(s) of brown. That may upset a lot of people who are fixated on pride in their particular shade or where their ancestors lived. [So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Genesis 11:8]

I've never seen a man or woman white (see printer paper), red (see fire engine), black (see tuxedo), or yellow (see sun). I saw on the news yesterday a blue man, but he accidentally did that to himself by applying colloidal silver to his skin. He's being discriminated against now, because he's blue, so he's moving to California, where he expects to be accepted...but I digress. Darwin, I've read, was the greatest promoter of racism, deeming some people groups inferior to others, based upon their physical characteristics. Ucky. Pretty ridiculous, too.

I'm not about science, but I've always liked the Punnett square. I liked it even more when I realized it explains the diversity of skin colors and other physical characteristics in humans. Surely Adam and Eve were created with the greatest possible gene pool. I'm going out on a limb when I suppose the possibilities were slightly watered down (pardon the pun) by the time Noah and his family stepped off the boat and piggled together a tent or two as a temporary shelter. So I reckon there may once have been physical characteristics we don't see today; maybe not. I suspect there are some people hanging out in caves today, too, but don't get me started on that.
They were bridge dwellers. They were cardboard box dwellers. They were cave dwellers. They were car dwellers. Uh-huh. What era was that?

I know a lot of people embrace all manner of presto-chango, highly imaginative, ego-boosting, self-aggrandizing, science-nose-thumbing, God-expunging explanations for physical diversity in the human race. I like the simplicity of the truth. It's okay with me -- it's REALLY okay with me -- that I'm not a god and never shall be. I don't aspire to godhood. And I couldn't be happier that God is God and knows what He's doing and how to do it.

So, as a descendant of Noah, I have a lot of relatives. A LOT of relatives. Never mind how many won't claim me. And they're all WhiteNot, including that blue man on the West Coast.

"God, ...that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth..." Acts 17:24-26

I'm all done with my shower post now.

No comments: