Saturday, January 5, 2008

Of Course

Weather conditions and passing around the epizudiac have delayed for nearly two months the planned ham feast with Joycie and part of her brood. We ate the first ham, ourselves, because something just didn't seem right about a piece of pig claiming it wouldn't go south inside of 2 months. Never trust a pig or the weather prognosticators.

Enter pig be-hind #2. And Joycie's brood is on their way down. And yesterday the oven said, "NO! Not doin' it. Not baking these cake layers, and I'm not gonna cook that pig tomorrow." Of course.

Appliance fix-it people said they'd rush right out -- five days from now. Of course.

No worries. When we realized after we bought the house how small the oven is, we brought in a microwave-convection oven to augment our baking capacity. Over the past year, I've employed it for baking a little less than a handful of times, so the convection feature is about brand-spankin' new. Riddle me this: Why, then, has it set up a raucous, wall quaking, head-banging rumble when it runs? Of course. *growling*

So Charles has been twitching on his pillow since I fired up the convection oven and stuffed-poked-rammed in that pig rump at 5:00 this morning. I became mesmerized, watching the pig-piece twirl while preparing Bammy's breakfast and nearly fried his egg to rubber. "Oh! I forgot what I was doing!"

There are two more cakes to bake and biscuits for eight, and who knows how long Porky's gonna twirl. We'll figure it all out...of course.


And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. ~Luke 21:34-36

2 comments:

zoomer1 said...

I'm sure Porky will be well worth all of Charles' twitching. :) And after yesterday's baked creation, I can't wait to see what you do today.

Kate said...

Looking at Mav's pics below, it reminded me of one of Dylan's birthdays. Maybe it was his third birthday??? Whatever the case,all I can remember is him trying to lick the cake knife (a very large one I might add) and everyone completely freaking out.

Why I have that very random memory...I have no idea. Hope Mav had a good bday! :)